Subject: Re: Re[2]: [Leica] Aesthetic qualities of photographs
From: pchefurka@plaintree.com
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 98 08:48:50 -0500

>>Many great musicians and composers are well documented as being
>>liberated by the use of such mind-altering psycodelics.  Are
>>there any famous photographers who did the same??

>Were they liberated, or is it like drinking to stay warm in the
>snow (it's >an illusion, body temperature actually goes down)?
>Or like using Leicas >and thinking it will automatically make
>your pictures look better. :-)

The only source of creative liberation is ideas.  Ideas and insights
can be generated by any experience, and the nature of that experience
can not validate or invalidate the ideas that flow from it.  If the
sense of the interconnectedness of all life that can spring from a
psychedelic experience prompts someone to devote their life to
improving the human condition, or prompts them to pay more attention
to the aesthetics of their endeavors, does the fact that their new
outlook was prompted by a drug experience mean that these changes are
illusory?  I think not.

On a Leica note - when I finally got back to using Leicas, my pictures
did get better.  Not because a Leica is somehow an intrinsically
"better" camera, but because I was conscious of the history of the
camera and the great photographers who used it.  This awareness caused
me to try harder, because I felt some sense of responsibility to that
history.  I did not want to use a camera capable of such greatness for
mundane and banal snapshots.  It was the *idea* of Leica rather than
the camera itself that prompted this change.

So no, the psychedelic experience is not like "drinking to stay warm
in the snow". And I suspect there are many photographers (both great
and obscure) whose photography has, in some way, been influenced by
such drugs.  Unless, of course, they didn't inhale...

Paul Chefurka