Subject: [Leica] Re: Summicron DR on the M6
From: "Doug Richardson" <doug@meditor.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 10:49:11 -0000

Mary G MGMcGough@aol.com wrote:

>I am not talking about  the lens fitting on,  but the ability to use
the eyes.

There were two patterns of DR spectacle, but these vary only in the
way they were assembled, and in the style of the engraving. They are
identical in form, fit and function, as the military would say.

Mine fit OK on the lens and work OK with the M6 finder. The guy at
Leica I spoke with said that he wouldn't recommend using the DR lens
in near-focussing mode on an M6, because the specs were designed for
use with the M3 and would be "inaccurate" on the lower magnification
finder. However, I've used this lens on an M2 since the early 1970s,
and haven't noticed any finder-accuracy problems in the near-focussing
range

I just turn the lens to its shortest focussing distance, then pull the
focussing ring forward and over the metal tab with the focus index
mark, so I can reach the close-focussing range. The specs will then
clip on just as they did on the M2.

My M6 has the cut outs on the four corners of the interior light
baffle shroud.

I don't know whether you've got the DR lens and are thinking about an
M6, or have the M6 and are thinking about the lens. I live about a
hour's journey from the dealer who had the body, so was able to take
my lens & specs in with me and try them together.

While I was trying them out, the dealer fitted a DR lens to another
early M6. He had no spectacles, but was able to set the lens to its
near-focussing range, but not to move it through the NF range.

Regards,

Doug Richardson