Subject: [Leica] Re: viewfinders, opening backs etc
From: "Doug Richardson" <doug@meditor.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 10:06:44 -0000

Alexey Merz <alexey@webcom.com> wrote:

>NO! No opening back! One of the great things about the M chassis is
its great rigidity; an SLR-style opening back would severely
compromise that.

Perhaps I'm not understanding something here - the rigidity is needed
between the lens mount and the film gate. How does mounting the
pressure plate on a hinged back affect this?

>Also, I wouldn't want the magnification decreased any further, even
to make the 28 frameline more visible - that would make the
rangefinder patch smaller & less accurate. A separate finder is a
better solution.

Agreed! Years ago, someone asked me "What's that little thing on the
accessory shoe of your Nikkorex?"  That "thing" was a SBOOI - a finder
which gives a 100% full size image and was easy to use with
spectacles. Now that's what I'd like the M6 finder to be like - 100%
image size but with variable frames. (We can all dream, can't we?).
However I suspect I'm asking for an optical impossibility.

In practice, what I had in mind was a finder with the current X0.72
magnification, but an eyepiece designed to allow spectacle wearers to
see the entire field.

Regards,

Doug Richardson