Subject: Re: [Leica] newby / Black Tape
From: "Martin V. Howard" <marho@ida.liu.se>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 17:08:05 +0200

Joseph Codispoti wrote:

> The black-tape-to-guard-the-Leica treatment has to be one of the more
> asinine suggestions I have encountered on the LUG.

Some people (like myself) put tape on cameras to protect them against
scratching.  Some people put tape on because they don't want the
potentially distracting reflexes from logos.  Some do it because they
wish to reduce the risk of it being recognized and stolen.

You're forgetting an important aspect of the "black tape" tactics when
you post such a catagorical statement: It may be less important what
potential thieves think of the camera, than the way in which *its owner*
acts and behaves.

Someone who in their mind thinks they have taken precautions will be
able to act more relaxed, and treat the camera like a tool, rather than
a precious jewel.  They will be able to get pictures they otherwise
wouldn't (because they're thinking about pictures, not about getting
the camera stolen) and they may well avoid the attention of thieves,
because they are not making a fuss about their equipment.

M.

- --
Martin V. Howard, Application Systems Laboratory,     |
Dept. of Comp. & Info. Sci., Linkoping University,    | Just DOHH it!
SE-581 83 Linkoping, Sweden.  Tel +46 13 282 421,     +----------------+
Fax +46 13 142 231; marho@ida.liu.se; www.ida.liu.se/~marho