Subject: RE: [Leica] newby / Black Tape
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 19:31:58 +0200

On Wednesday, August 26, 1998 4:08 PM, Martin V. Howard
[SMTP:marho@ida.liu.se] wrote:
> Joseph Codispoti wrote:
> You're forgetting an important aspect of the "black tape" tactics when
> you post such a catagorical statement: It may be less important what
> potential thieves think of the camera, than the way in which *its owner*
> acts and behaves.
>
> Someone who in their mind thinks they have taken precautions will be
> able to act more relaxed, and treat the camera like a tool, rather than
> a precious jewel.  They will be able to get pictures they otherwise
> wouldn't (because they're thinking about pictures, not about getting
> the camera stolen) and they may well avoid the attention of thieves,
> because they are not making a fuss about their equipment.

That's me ! My girlfriend goes in panic mode when I ask her to carry the M6
for a few minutes. I feel totally relaxed. Black M and black tape act like
exorcism. I nevertheless do not forget to keep the strap around my neck at
all times outdoors. Good looking equipment from chic tourists is a
temptation for the potential thief, but unattended anything is even more
tempting....Therefore, my only real precaution is not to let the darn thing
lay in evidence on a table or on a chair when relaxing in public places.
The M system sends good vibes all around: nobody feels attaqued by its
looks, only a marginal set of hobbyists see it as a treasure, it does not
occupy any vital space, it is light on the shoulders, easy on the ears, a
real gift for the photographer on the move.

Just a little vital positiving exercise after the frustration brought by
the latest Photokina release....

Alan.