Subject: Re: [Leica]70-180 zoom!
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 22:01:25 +0100

Eric wrote:
>As for Japanese cameras being ahead of Leica, it certainly had nothing to
>do with what really counts in photography...the glass. My 70-180 2.8 Vario
>Apo Elmarit R is vastly better than any other zoom I've ever used. Canon,
>Nikon, etc.>>>>>>>>

So Eric,

Tell the spell bound audience what you really think of the 70-180! :) As
far as I'm concerned from results, it's one of the most incredible lenses
for film exposing I've ever used.

Sure there are other great lenses in the Leica collection, but without
question this one stands completely on it's own heads above. And I don't
need numbers quoted from a bench test book to confirm it.

Now if I could truly hand hold it as easily as I would've five years ago it
would be great! Damn, I hate tripods and monopods! But you have to learn to
live with them sooner or later and I sure wish it was a whole bunch later.
:(

But using the monopod isn't too bad, as I'm getting pretty quick in
handling it and still keeping myself pretty flexible and mobile.  But you
can't beat hand holding for mobility and moving subjects.

Now if I could only have a body transplant! Anyone on the LUG into body
changes?  It would be great! :)

Now back to your 70-180. How are you finding it in handling and are you
using it as much as you thought you would? Have you found the zoom and
focus rings a bit confusing for feel when you are looking through the
camera and shooting? What I mean is, have you found yourself zooming when
you thought your fingers were on the focus ring?

This is something I still make mistakes on and have corrected it by putting
an elastic band oround the zoom ring, just for feel effect. It seems it
never fails that I zoom when I should have focused and I blow something,
"P"'s me right off! Too bad Leica didn't make the rings of different
nubbieness (roughness) :) and the problem would have been solved. I'm sure
I'm not alone.

Your experience?

ted