Subject: [Leica] high performance photography
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 1998 16:01:29 +0200

I have commented on techniques for the best possible image quality before
in this group. Recently Zeiss published a 10 step programme with the same
aim. It closely follows my strategy. Here it is: Zeiss words:"More than
ever before, extremely careful and deliberate technique must be used to
obtain the results of which the [Zeiss] equipment is capable"
The 10 steps are as follows:
1. Select a high performance optic
2. Select a matching body
3. Place camera and optic on a very sturdy tripod. (Phototripods are not
good enough: use a carbon fibre television tripod with a fluid head for
damping purposes)
4. Select high performance film; Ektar 25 (no longer available, Erwin!), or
Techpan 25 or Fuji Velvia. (Zeiss forgets the best of all: Kodachrome 25.
Erwin!)
5. Use split field indicator
6. Prefer f/stops from 5,6 to 8 (For Leica 4 to 5,6, Erwin )
7. Use mirror pre release
8. Wrap hands around camera to dampen vibration
9. Make notes on the object you are focusing on and note real physical
dimensions: "licence plate on truck, 350 feet away, character line width on
plate: 3/8").
10 Select quality lab and one with really good optics

BTW: Zeiss will introduce at Photokina 36 (!!) new lenses for all kinds of
formats and uses.

Erwin