Subject: Re: [Leica] high performance photography
From: "Joseph Codispoti" <joecodi@thegrid.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 1998 10:12:19 -0700

Thank you Erwin for the report.

There is no question that good equipment is required to obtain good results.
To avoid vibration, I place one hand on the tripod and apply  downward
pressure. However I fail to see how a "a carbon fibre television tripod with
a fluid head " can be better than a good conventional tripod. Do you (or
anyone else) have any thoughts on this point?

Recently Jim Brick mentioned that greater mass produces more stability
(paraphrasing, not quoting). Therefore it is possible to hand-hold a heavy
camera at shutter speeds as low as 1/15 sec.
I have never been able to take photos at speeds lower that 1/125 sec. with
good results (I am critical in determining sharpness).
I think that aside of employing good techniques in holding the camera and
bracing, the lowest usable shutter speed is dependent on heart rate, steady
hands, and breathing control.

Joseph Codispoti