Subject: [Leica] Hasselblad Xpan and M7
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 19:51:26 +0200

I have the press info in front of me. It is real, but most guestimates as
to its operation and significance are a bit off-mark.
Delivery is september. it is a Fuji with medium format lenses (to cover the
panoramic format). It is not a M7 (with does not exist and will not exist).
It is a all metal body with the usual string of elecronics (No, no
TTL-flash is not one of them). Shutter 8sec to 1/1000 etc. Significant is
the fact that Hasselblad invests in 35mm and not in digital and not in APS,
but takes the panorama switch from APS.
The lenses are good, but not spectacular and are as far as I could see from
the product pictures no match for Leica.

The allegedly electronic M6 (guesses based on a topcover) is a true myth.
It has not existed. And I really hope for once that we stop conjecturing
big stories from small evidences.
Important for me is the state of faith in good old 35mm from a reputed
manufacturer and a trust in the rangefinder concept. It is conceptually
quite different from the G2 and the M6 and has more likeliness to Fuji's
mid format line, which are by the way formidable machines.

Erwin