Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica Compacts
From: "B. D. Colen" <BDColen@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 15:36:57 -0400

It is just that I want to simplify and lighten
my life.  I do not want to carry around a lot of gear.  I simply want top
quality at minimum bulk and weight. I am not too bothered about the cost -
Generally, you get what you pay for - if you are lucky.   I travel a lot
and want to be
able to tackle a  reasonably wide  range of photographic situations. I am
thinking of recidiving to  an M6 with F2.8 Elmar 50mm collapsible.  But
that is still
bulky by my standards for a travelling man.

RESPONSE -

While I may be flamed for saying this, if you are still serious about your
photography, for get the Mini thises or thats. Go for the M6 with either the
Summicron 50 or the collapsible Elmar. The M6 with the Elmar really is quite
compact, but for that matter, I think that an M6 with a Summicron 50, or
even a 35 Summilux ASPH is still quite compact, particularly when compared
to SLRs. If I could have but one camera and lens, it would be the M6 with
the 35 Summilux ASPH - if mine returns from Leica in working order, as it is
alleged to be in the process of doing.

Which brings me to your quality control question. Again, at the risk of
being badly burned by the flames, I don't think "they're makin'  'em like
the used to." But then I don't think anyone is. The Leica and its lenses are
still awsome pieces of photographic machinary, and with the "passport
protection" and other waranties, you can't go wrong.

Good luck.

B. D.
James.