Subject: [Leica] Leica Compacts
From: "James Harper" <DRJH@btinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 20:14:45 +0100

As a newcomer to   the  intimidating  world of global internet discussions,
I would like to thank and congratulate Eric Welch on a brilliantly humorous
and friendly analysis of the types of answer which can be expected to
enquiries in the Leica User Group.  This led to some equally sane and
amusing follow-ups, and has encouraged me to risk this message.  If I have
done something wrong, please make allowances!  I will go away.

I  hope that my enquiry will not produce  more than  useful facts, or
polite silence. I am not sure what "flames" are, but I assume from the
context in which the word has occurred in my three days of LUG
eavesdropping that they are an internet way of showing impatience or
irritation.

The problem on which I need sensitive counselling  is what camera to use
to accompany me into my twilight years.  I have gone through many.  There
were various   Kodak Brownie box cameras, which were  the fastest camera I
have ever
used. And for their period they produced results which are now often
regarded as
historic, if not  actually in focus,  correctly exposed, or well composed.
 Then there was
the Ensign  Selfix 820 Special, which was the only camera which I have ever
had stolen.  Then flirtations with early Japanese cameras, like the Olympus
Pen, and Canon Rangefinders.  Then the various Japanese SLRs, like many of
the
Nikons.  I still have a Nikon - 801 - which is excellent for sports
photography, and indeed for almost everything.  The pictures which I have
obtained and published with it would have been very difficult with any
Leica SLR at the time;.

But alongside this I led a double life.  I had screw Leicas, and bayonet
Leicas.  A 111A, a 11F, and, of course, M2, M3, M4 and all the lovely
lenses that worked with them. Though I never had Leica SLRs (I will not
elaborate
on that sensitive subject, though having belonged to a Leica enthusiast
group I know that they are much loved too).  And Leica enlargers.   And the
end result of all that was an affection for Leicas which makes me want to
stay with Leica  if they are still worthy of my support and respect (the
anti-vibes are worrying) and can sell the camera I actually need.

I do not know how much credence to give to bad
reports of their quality control.  Incidentally, Leica brochures always
talk about developments being made in response to user views, but I have
not personally ever met  a Leica user who  admits to having been a part of
this consultation process. I certainly have never been.  I think that Leica
risks living on capital (the goodwill of their enthusiasts), which they are
not renewing.  But I could be quite wrong.  All I know that I am not wrong
about is that if you do not sell the product wich people actually want to
buy, you die.

So, what is my problem?  It is just that I want to simplify and lighten
my life.  I do not want to carry around a lot of gear.  I simply want top
quality at minimum bulk and weight. I am not too bothered about the cost -
Generally, you get what you pay for - if you are lucky.   I travel a lot
and want to be
able to tackle a  reasonably wide  range of photographic situations. I am
thinking of recidiving to  an M6 with F2.8 Elmar 50mm collapsible.  But
that is still
bulky by my standards for a travelling man.

Therefore, I would be most grateful  and flameproof for the views of LUG
members on the Leica (Japanese?) compact cameras - the Minilux, the new
Minilux zoom, the Z2X.  I hasten to add that I know that they will not be
like an M6.

Best wishes to you all.

James.