Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Gear & Kids
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 10:41:37 +0000

> B. D. Colen wrote:
> >...I tried to interest him in the idea of applying
> > his skateboarding style - multiple flashes, flash combined with
> > daylight, lots of captured motion, etc. - to candid wedding work. Go in
> > with a rented 2 1/4, shoot the requisite posed stuff, and then go to
> > town. Frankly, I think he could do really well with it and make a name.

I have friend here who does a lot of work for the skateboard mags--Rich
Cook. He has been traveling all over the world--Europe, Austrailia,
Africa, NA--doing skateboard and roller blade turnies and individuals
and is also getting commercial projects as well.  So it is possible to
make it in a specialty you love.

As for weddings, if that was the only photography I could do, or had to
do them to make money to do other things, I would get out of
photography.  I've only shot three, they were for very persistent
friends, and I refused to take money.  I don't want to do insurance
inventory photos either.  Though I do respect those who do weddings
well.  Just don't try to make me do them.

Looking back on my early goals and the detours (and emotional toll of
those detours), I would support your son doing what he loves and staying
away from what he doesn't.  Life is too short as it is.

donal
- --
Donal Philby
San Diego