Subject: Re: [Leica] Is Big Brother Listening?
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 12:31:17 -0500

At 02:42 PM 7/9/98 +0200, you wrote:

>Comment :I was told that the main reason is the S1 which is a primary
>strategic mistake justifying the sack of the CEO. No sales  whereas costs
>of production have inflated dangerously.Why ? The S1 is an equipment good
>for museums, research centers, etc ; not for individuals. Now, since Leica

This camera needs to be marketed at anyone but Leica users. Like New York
catalogue photographers who could pay for it in less than a week, and save
enough money in a year to buy another one from reduced film and processing
costs. The camera could sell itself. Besides, it hasn't been out long
enough to say "no sales." Short term sacking leads to long term strategic
foolishness.

>the latter was the market of consumer goods.Instead of the S1, Leica would
>have to produce the...marvelous Fuji MX-700, the digital camera Oskar
>Barnack would like to imagine.

That's not the camera that's the same as the Nikon ES, is it? That's a
piece of junk, and Fuji helped build it.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Nix illegitimi carborundum ( Don't let the bastards grind you down)