Subject: Re[2]: [Leica] Today's Great Photographers {was Photo whores
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 12:38:30 -0500

At 10:31 AM 7/9/98 -0400, you wrote:

>     What are we railing against here?  I don't think it's "bean counters."
>     They do not get to "run...a once world class magazine" for no reason.
>     The old, presumably better, LIFE magazine must've had problems (though
>     what they were, I don't know).  If the "bean counters" do "justify
>     their existance by a paper or publication still surviving," then they

The reason bean counters get to run a magazine is that Wall Street is in
love with media companies. Warner Brothers, casting about to buy some media
property bought Time-Life, then set about to imprint everything with their
culture. That means promotion of their movies, and celebrities and all that
goes with it. Plus the corporate American culture, though I don't think we
Yanks are alone in this, that you squeeze blood out of turnips at every
opportunity and that quality is second to returns to stock holders. Even if
it means long-term death for the company in hand.

Dogbert couldn't have done it better.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Nix illegitimi carborundum ( Don't let the bastards grind you down)