Subject: [Leica] Short R Zooms
From: Jim Laurel <jplaurel@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 10:58:36 -0700

Can any of you comment on Leica's short R zooms?  The 28-70 and 35-70 range
would be about right, but I'm concerned about the optical qualities of these
lenses, having read some fairly disparaging comments about them here on the
LUG.  Are they to be avoided altogether?

Leica appears to be offering two 35-70's now, a 3.5 and a 4.0.  Apparently,
the 3.5 has a non-rotating front element, making it easier to use with
polarizers and grads.  The 4.0 lens has a rotating front, but I remember a
comment here sometime ago that a polarizer can't be fitted to this lens at
all!

Any input stemming from direct experience would be helpful.

Has there been any more scuttlebut about the possibility of something like a
17-35 f2.8?

Thanks!

Jim Laurel
Microsoft Digital Television