Subject: RE: [Leica] zoom lens choice
From: Jim Laurel <jplaurel@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 17:48:50 -0700

I've recently acquired the 80-200 F4 R zoom.  When I first got it, I did
some very subjective tests against my Canon 75-300 IS USM zoom.  The
Vario-Elmar produces visibly better images...no question, though the Canon
does fairly well in the center.  It is contrastier than the Canon, also no
surprise.

It doesn't handle nearly as well on my R6.2 as the 75-300 on the EOS1n.  An
R8 would be a better fit, handling-wise.  The focus ring is a little rough
- -- nowhere close to my M lenses, but it's nicely damped as is the zoom ring.

The lens is well finished and appears solid and well constructed.

My wife just got Canon's new 70-200 F2.8L, which is a lovely piece of glass.
It wouldn't surprise me to find that it's every bit the equal of the Vario
Elmar and a stop faster at that!

Again, the Vario Elmar balances well on the R8, but is a little overwhelming
for the R6.2's compact size.