Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Int'l price differences
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 09:38:59 +0200

On 05-07-1998 21:42 Jim Brick wrote:

>For example, six years ago I bought a "USA new" 15mm Super Elmar
>R, via my local dealer, for less than $3000. They happened to end up with
>this lens through a special buy, and passed the savings along to me. They
>could have just as easily priced it at market level and sold it to
>whomever. But they didn't. This has happened on other products as well.
>It's a two way street.

Jim,

too sad this kind of wise business practice does not seem to happen over
here... Almost no dealer dares to specialize in Leica goods as they
consider the market to be too small. So they mostly sell stuff (which has
to be ordered in 99% of the cases) at the price level "suggested" by the
Belgian importer. Not much competition and pressure to lower prices... :-)

Pascal

Check out: http://members.xoom.com/cyberplace/
t h i n k   d i f f e r e n t               a p p l e    c o m p u t e r