Subject: Re: [Leica] 50 Summicron or Summilux
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 1998 18:24:50 +0100

Ben Tuason wrote:

>I want to look at it from another angle, though.  Presuming I _didn't_
>have a Noctilux, would you still recommend the Summicron over theSummilux?>>>

Ben,

When deciding which of the two lenses, your purchase should be considered
on the kind of photography you are going to do.

in other words if you are going to be working in the realm of "available
darkness" light, I'd opt for the Summilux immediately because you'll be
working wide open aperture for many of the images.

However, if that isn't your thing and you are more into nice quiet picture
taking, family, scenics and photo souveniers, I'd go with the Summicron.

Besides I beleive it's much cheaper than the Summilux.

As far as getting rid of the Noctilux?  Man I wouldn't part with that baby
for all the tea in China!!!  It's the magic lens of lenses!!!! :) It allows
you to shoot where others fear to go with all that crappy flash stuff,
besides putting a flash on the M6 is paramount to blasphmey! :) Actually it
is!

As far as being heavy goes, you'll get used to it and the images you'll
shoot without people believing you are taking pictures are worth the tiny
extra weight. :)  Trust me I've used one since 1967! :) And it's still
going strong and used almost every week somewhere in the world. :)

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant