Subject: Re: [Leica] two M cameras at once!
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 1998 12:28:12 +0100

Francesco wrote:

>How many of you sometimes carry 2 M bodies at once?
>Do you carry B&W in one and color in the other, or is it
>to prevent having to change lenses as frequently?
>
>My question is HOW do YOU carry 2 cameras?>>>>>>>>>>>

Francesco,

Like Tom A. and his two M's, I have worked many years with two or three.
Sometimes six Leicas hanging off shoulders and neck all at the same time.
:) Kind of a wild looking photographer with 3 M's around the neck stacked
one above the other, 2 R7's with motors off the left shoulder and another
R7 on the right shoulder.

Gets a bit cumbersome at times! :) And a tad  heavy after a long day.:) The
assignment dictates this kind of set-up as I wouldn't want you folks to
think I work in this fashion everyday.:)

But it's quite easy working with M cameras on your neck. I stack mine with
the heaviest lens (Noctilux) or the one that sticks out the most (90mm) on
the bottom. And whatever combination is required for the assignment on the
remaining one ortwo bodies.

Allow enough room that they hang clean of each other, this still doesn't
mean you'll not knock them against each other sometime. However look at it
this way, "What do you want to do, miss the picture of the year while
fiddling changing lenses or just buy another M6 if one gets badly
banged-up?"  It hasn't ever happened to me to replace one even though they
have been "bumped off each other on more than one occasion."

The hard part?  Over looking the "clunking sound" when they do hit! :)

I too have wrecked a few metal 21mm finders or knocked them off.  If you
want a brand new one, it's buried in a runway at the Mirable airport near
Montreal! :) Knocked off when I climbed up a huge earth mover during runway
construction.  Oh well, in those days the 21 metal view finder was only
$90.00 Canadian.  Oh yeah and to make you feel really bad!:) The 21 SA lens
was only $381.00 Cdn!  :)

I might also point out, carrying two around your neck when you are just
walking about doing your thing without it being a quick moving assignment
becomes a pain in the butt. In this case, I put one around the neck and the
other off my preferred left shoulder, it being the dominant shoulder for
camera bags and cameras for 45 years.

In this fashion you can work quickly with both, as the off shoulder camera
has enough strap length to swing-up to the eye and keep tension for a
steady exposure.

A note of caution. When using more than one keep a good eye on "how many
frames you have left in each!"  It never fails (Murphies Law!) that if you
do not, you'll run out of film in both, just when you find a situation that
requires lots of frames for immediate use. This applies more so if you are
carrying more than two cameras.

I realize many LUGNUTS carry their cameras more carefully than a mother
with a new baby, but a bang or knock here or there isn't any big deal. It's
surprising the bumping and clunking they can handle without breaking!

Besides if your gear has a sort of "real time used look" it becomes less
attractive to the bad guys! :)  Not always, but it also gives the camera a
less important look, than a bright shiny new one.

<<<<Or do you keep both in a camera bag over a shoulder and not even bother
having them around your neck?>>>>>>>

Carrying cameras in this fashion when looking for situations, you might as
well not have them at all. Much like those people who walk around with the
"never ready cases" or lens caps on with the camera turned off!

hell they'd be better off sitting at the bar having a relaxing drink! :) Or
watching  good looking girls walking by. If they did the latter, they'd
have the camera out real quick time making use of it. Beats the heck out of
drinking any day!:)

Anyway, if you have two M's it doesn't mean your pictures are going to be
"two times better". :) It just means you'll have to concentrate twice as
much to get the best out of both.

And you thought I was going to be helpful. :)  Most important whether one,
two or six, go out and have fun and don't think too much, as that's when
you screw-up.

Best bet with two cameras?  "react to your visual instincts and not being
analytical!" Have a good one.

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant