Subject: Re: [Leica] S-1 Digital Camera
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 07:34:12 -0500

At 10:55 PM 6/21/98 -0700, you wrote:

>If you digitize the image with a CCD, using 12 bits for each of red, blue
>and green, you get a dynamic range of 1 part in 2 to the 12th or 12 stops

It sounded significant to me because Kodak's digital cameras act more like
chrome film than negative film. They don't like contrast that much, and
prefer underexposure to overexposure. Besides, that's a number they used in
the ad. I wasn't trying to make it sound like that was the only important
statistic. What's more important with this kind of camera, I guess, is how
long an image takes to "shoot."
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

It is of interest to note that while some dolphins are reported to have
learned English...no human being has been reported to have learned
dolphinese.

Carl Sagan