Subject: Re: [Leica] shall I compare thee to a Summilux? :)
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 08:18:56 -0400

Danny G. wrote:

>As far as disrupting the LUG, all these posts, all of these people who
want to be
>appointed censors, all of these people who have not learned through the
consequences of
>what is in fact - their own requested mediocrity, are more the problem
than they are the
>solution. The clique betrays itself by tuquoque, in their own catcalls.
>
>Also, I notice that people have become intimidated to silence, by posts
such as
>Dan C's, Eric's, Tina's and MJS's. For instance, many now apologize in
their titles for
>their own opinions, with meekly stated reactions to flat-out derision and
find it 'better'
>to suffer self infllicted insults rather than counter self annointed and
imposed LUG
>'authority' . People do fear the LUG clique and the axe they use on the
necks of the
>censored.

This has nothing to do with Free Speech.  If some guy thinks the F5 has a
better meter than any other camera, let him say so.  He can shout it out at
the top of his lungs.  I have no problem with that.  He/she is welcome on
this list (as far as I am concerned, for what that's worth).  People can
express whatever opinions they want here.  Nothing is stopping them.  And
others may rebut them in argument.  Nothing stops them either.  In fact
it's welcomed, for it makes for an interesting list.   No one should
apologize for expressing an opinion on the list.  But if I decide I don't
like someone else on the list, do I have some God-given right to use the
list as a vehicle to spout my hatred towards that person, to purposely
disagree with every post he makes, and in as ugly and distasteful manner as
possible?  And does someone have the right to join a list with the express
purpose of disrupting it?  If so, then I have the equal right to express my
opinion about what should be done about that person.  I mean, we are
talking about free speech, right?

Wars were fought and people have died defending the rights of free speech.
What a waste if this is what it all comes down to.

Dan C.