Subject: Re: [Leica] shall I compare thee to a Summilux? :)
From: dannyg1 <dannyg1@IDT.NET>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 16:40:43 +0000

Dan C,

> But if I decide I don't
> like someone else on the list, do I have some God-given right to use the
> list as a vehicle to spout my hatred towards that person, to purposely
> disagree with every post he makes, and in as ugly and distasteful manner as
> possible?  And does someone have the right to join a list with the express
> purpose of disrupting it?

The argument is not about 'hatred' and it seems a touch alarmist of you to have
characterized it in that way. Seems to me that this particular bit of discord is about Ben's
refusal to accept Eric as an authority on the subject of R8/F5 comparison and Eric's
resentment of Ben for challenging his 'authority'. There are a few other threads running
where perceived authority is being directly challenged and the reaction among the LUG
clique has been much the same.

In this case, the escalation was made official here:

>Get to know who you're attacking before shooting off at the mouth.
>Eric Welch

"I've observed your mumblings for a while Eric.  I know who you are, what
you do and what photos you take.  You're still a lone voice in the
wilderness.
Ben"

I find both comments derisive and both positions distasteful. The reason that the
statements were effective is that each has an element of stinging truth running through
and so, the battle lines were drawn. It was here that the clique rallyed to Eric, labeling
Ben as the anti-Christ and where you called for his expulsion from the list. Why not
leave them to settle it among themselves? Isn't the disruption of the list defined by all of
the rallying around Eric? ISTM that if you cancel all of that you're down to four or five
posts, which hardly qualifies as unbearable.

As for the central issue, is there a single person out there whom truly cares whether the
matrix meter in the R8 reads snow as well as the F5?

Danny Gonzalez