Subject: Re: [Leica] is a finder necessary?
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 08:31:57 -0400

At 09:46 PM 10-05-98 -0700, you wrote:

>> >Are there any M bodies that have a finder frame wider than 28mm?
>> >
>> >Francesco Sanfilippo,
>>
>> Technically, the answer is no.  However, since there is a bit of extra
>> coverage builtin to the frames, especially at infinity, you *may* be able
>> to approximate the 24mm view with the 28mm frames,
>>
>> Dan C.
>
>It's the other way around. At infinity the 28mm frame shows *less* than
>what's covered by the 28mm lens and much less than what's covered by a 24mm
>lens. The Leica viewfinder is designed so that anything you see in the
>apropriate viefinder will be on the film, and at far distances more than
>what the viewfinder indicates will be on the film.

I think this is what I meant.  At far distances, what you see in the 28mm
viewfinder is *less* than what will appear on the film.  Or putting it the
other way, *more* will appear on the film than what is visible.  My point
was that *possibly*, the *more* may corresond to what the 24mm lens may put
onto the film.

Dan C.