Subject: [Leica] discriminating, selective by definition
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 8:58:03 -0500

Mike wrote:

>anyone who is discriminating about music will love certain things and
hate
>other things--and in some cases even hate them with a passion. Art
lovers
have

Eric wrote:

>I'm with Mike. One doesn't have to like everything, or say that
something
>else is "bad" just because one doesn't like it.

A discriminating listener or viewer will indeed be selective by
definition.  My original gripe was that a third person would try to
decide whether one was a music lover or photography lover based on the
variety of types of music, medium, subject matter or lenses used.  That's
a subjective judgement.  I can think someone is a horrible artist, yet he
may love art immensely.

In the case of music and art, there is such a wide variety of styles, as
has been pointed out, that it is near improbable that anyone could truly
love every single type of music or art and not dislike anything.   But
one can appreciate music and art even if it is that which one doesn't
truly love.  But I'm in agreement  that there are many artists whose work
is so awful, I can't appreciate it either and choose to ignore it
entirely.

Duane Birkey

HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador