Subject: [Leica] 50 mm and limiting music lovers too.
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 16:34:37 -0500

One lugger (whom I won't name)  wrote in reference to owning many
different lenses:

It's like people saying "I listen to all kinds of music"--a comment for
which I've never had anything but contempt! Anyone who could say such a
thing
obviously has no real love for music.

****************

Hold the phone.  I strongly disagree with that statement.  There are few
people who are open enough to appreciate the wide variety of musical
expressions that exist in the USA let alone throughout the world.
Obviously,  there are some who would make that statement  whose depth of
classical music does not go beyond William Tell Overture or Glenn Miller
in the "Jazz" category  or Willie Nelson in that Country stuff etc.

But, the argument seems to be going that enjoying multiple types of music
is as contemptible as using a wide range of lenses.  It's like saying
Wynton Marsalis doesn't truly love music because he plays Classical, 19th
century concert band and jazz music using b flat, c and piccolo trumpets
etc.

I've got 100's of cd's of jazz, rock, Latin rock, classical and opera
etc.   If I didn't love music, I wouldn't have spent the money to buy
audio systems for work and home let alone buy all of the cd's.......   If
I didn't love photography I wouldn't have spent a small fortune on
equipment with the goal of producing the best possible images I can from
a technical as well as a esthetic point of view.

I hate to be judgemental but this isn't a forum to find out who loves
what the most.

Does someone who listens to only Bach, love music more than I do.  NO, he
has chosen to limit himself to a very narrow range of the musical
spectrum.  He may or may not love Bach more than I do since he has chosen
to ignore all other music, (his loss).  Does someone who uses only a 50
and a single camera (again his loss) love photography more than I do.
Maybe, maybe not.   How can one make that judgement?  It's not all that
obvious to me and frankly it doesn't make one bit of difference if he
does or doesn't.    Does a photographer who produces slick work for
advertising or shoot weddings love it any less than those that produce
garbage art photography?  Maybe, maybe not, it's pretty subjective
argument.

This isn't a contemptible competition, so let's lighten up a bit.

Duane Birkey

HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador