Subject: Re: [Leica] DOF indicator
From: thibault collin <tc-lnc@u-picardie.fr>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 18:48:46 +0200

Hello Marc,

>>1.  Is this only for 50mm lens?
>
>As the book says!  Yes.

Of course, but if we have free time this summer, we could try to calibrate
it with other lenses which will give other apertures!! It would be a tough job!

>>2.  Is this only for between f/5.6 to 16?
>
>As the book says!  Yes.  (Actually, it is ONLY for f/5.6 and f/16, but, by
>definition, includes all apertures between these.)

OK with a 50 but with another lens, the two indicators would mean other
apertures!

>>3.  How do you see this double superimposed image against the top and
>>bottom notches?  Try focusing on a on my sofa then looked at the TV behind.
>> I see double image of the TV and it looks like its between the upper
>>notch.  My metered aperture is F2.8.  How do I relate this to the f16?

I have also that feature in my old M2 and the way I use it is the following :
The width of the two rectangles (ie 5.6 and 16) represent the maximal shift
you can see in the viewfinder for you subject to be in focus at 5.6 or 16.
It works of course, but it's much slower than the DOF scale on the lens.

Thib.