Subject: Re: [Leica] focus at infinity (pt.2)
From: thibault collin <tc-lnc@u-picardie.fr>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 17:14:08 +0200

Hello Dan,

you wrote :

>My various lenses for my two M6s (inclusing my new HM) all show differing
>deviation from perfect infinity focus, in the rangefinder.  All of the
>lenses seem to provide perfect focus (in my photographs), so I am not sure
>if the deviation is actually meaningfull.  In your case, when you say
>"frankly off focus", do you mean your photographs are out of focus as well?

With the old M4 (which I send on CLA for slow speed problems also) the
rangefinder was really of focus but I mean really! It was totally
misalligned. For the pictures, it was not such a problem because I only use
35 and 50 mm lenses so up to 3 ft., it can be roughly OK for infinity!
Suprisingly however, I took some pictures with that "misaligned M4" (as a
matter of fact, the report from Leica mentions this misalignement as well as
many other things such as slow speed timer defect that make the bill grow
high -!) wide open with an old "crappy" 50 mm s'cron and the focus was ok!
The contrast was not!
It's funny that there could be such a deviation even on brand new bodies and
lenses! Of course, it has to be meaningfull unless we are not using a 135!
And again I'm not sure it would affect the pictures, we would have to fit a
600 mm on the M body (without a viso of course) to see something wrong on
the pictures.

Thanks a lot Dan,
Thib.