Subject: Re: [Leica] Off-Topic: Airport X-ray Machines
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 11:12:42 -0800

Dave Myers wrote:

> Hello...
>
> CNN just had a story that said PHIMA(?) (Photographic Imaging
> Manufacturers Association?) will release a report on Friday saying that
> X-ray machines do indeed cause fogging, graininess, and striping on
> unprocessed film.  Newer machines are more problematic than older ones,
> but older machines can also cause problems if film is exposed to them
> repeatedly.  The report is based on tests done with various films and
> machines.
>
> I think I got all the basics of this story correct.  I was a little
> distracted when it was on.  I thought LUG members would be interested,
> since X-rays came up a few months ago.
Dave>

In most recent trips I have taken have had no problem with hand
checking, even in Mexico.  One key is to completely unbox and
un-canister all the film and put in freezer bags.  Last week was thanked
twice by security personel for doing so.  they both complained about
people who bring through film still in canisters and they are forced to
inspect each and every canister.

I would love to have a copy of the report to cary with me.  If there is
a problem it would be nice to have a copy to give to security manager to
help with negotiations.  Perhaps we can track it down and share with
group.

donal

- --
Donal Philby