Subject: [Leica] Maggie Steber in LA
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 14:40:26 -0800

LUGnuts,
Just got message below from the "Photo Night" people who have for some
time been putting together journalism get togethers which often feature
talented photographers.  There have been several Leica users among
them.  I've seen: Sam Abell (the night before and at the same Queen Mary
location as the NPPA FSC meeting), Jeff Jacobson (Magnum, Archive),
James Nachwey (Magnum), Douglas Faulkner (Celebs and recent book on
Titanic movie).   Now Maggie Steber, another Leica user. =20

If you are in the LA area, it should be a good presentation. =20

Donal
- --=20
Donal Philby
San Diego
http://www.donalphilby.com
- ---------------------------------------

>We promised you a good one! Bruce and Claudia Strong and Paul Rodriguez =
are
> happy to announce that SABA photographer Maggie Steber will be our feat=
ured
 speaker at the Grove Theater Center=92s Gem Theater in Garden Grove at 7
p.m. on
 Thursday, March 26. Steber, who has been a documentary photographer
since
 1978, has produced major projects on Cuba, the war in Zimbabwe and =96
since
 1986 =96 Haiti. Her book, =93Dancing on Fire: Photographs from Haiti,=94=
 is a
 culmination of her work there, and won the award for Best Photographic
Book
 from the Maine Photographic Workshop in 1996. (We will have signed
copies
 available for purchase at Photo Night.) Steber has won numerous honors
from
 World Press and Pictures of the Year, as well as the Olivier Rebbot
Award for
 Best Photographic Coverage from Abroad from the Overseas Press Club,
and the
 Leica Medal of Excellence in Photojournalism. She also has been awarded
the
 Alicia Patterson Grant and was the first recipient of the Ernst Haas
Grant.
 Before launching into documentary projects, Steber studied with Garry
 Winogrand, worked as a reporter/photographer at the Galveston (TX)
Daily News,
 and was the first woman hired as a picture editor by the Associated
Press in
 New York. Steber has been a guest lecturer at dozens of venues,
including the
 International Center of Photography,  the International Maine
Photographic
 Workshop, the Santa Fe Workshop and the Photographic Workshop in
Tuscany,
 Italy. She also has taught graduate and advanced studies at the
University of
 Texas in Austin. Her clients include National Geographic, Fortune,
Newsweek,
 Life, The New York Times, The New Yorker and many European magazines.
She will
 be showing us a variety of work, including images from Haiti and
selections
 from several National Geographic stories. Her presentation will begin
at 8
 p.m. As always the evening is free, and, as almost always it=92s
pot-luck, so
 please bring a main dish, a salad, a dessert or drinks to share.=20

Directions: Going east on the 22: Take the Euclid exit, turn left
(north) at
 the bottom of the ramp; at your fourth light (Acacia) turn left; GTC is
one
 block down on the right; if you take another right there, the
amphitheater is
 about 50 yards down. Going west on the 22: Euclid exit; left at the
bottom of
 the ramp; at your first light (Euclid) turn right; at your third light
 (Acacia) turn left; GTC is one block down on the right; if you take
another
 right there, the amphitheater is about 50 yards down. Questions? Call
Claudia
 at (714) 538 - 7677, or our hotline at (714) 953 - 7767 or try our
website at
 http://www.freedom.com/photonight.