Subject: [Leica] Eyeglasses with M6
From: Carol Voelker <voelkerc@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 13:01:21 -0500 (EST)

Dear LUGers,

As a LUG-lurker for the last few weeks, I've learned a lot about
photographing with Leicas.  I've also learned that members of the LUG are
very knowledgeable and particular about optical equipment.  Could you
please be so kind as to offer advice on glasses?  I've reached the stage
where it's difficult to see the dials on the top of the M6 sharply with
regular glasses (for near-sightedness and astigmatism).  The solution seems
to be progressive lenses.  What I'm leaning toward is Zeiss progressives
with anti-reflective coating and UV-protection.  I've been told that Zeiss
lenses have a smaller distorted area than other companies' lenses.  (Bokeh
in progressives is supposed to be a very disagreeable wavy pattern.)  Has
anyone found a better solution?

I assumed that large lenses would have the advantage over smaller ones:
more room for each correction and more room for the transition.  On the
other hand, my husband was in Germany for a few days recently (Paderborn,
not Solms) and said that even people with progressive lenses there are
using tiny ones.  Is this just a concession to style, or are there optical
advantages to smaller lenses (thinner, closer to eyes?) that outweigh the
possible advantages of large lenses?

Thank you for any advice you can give me:  theoretical, anecdotal,...   By
the way, Leica doesn't make spectacles for people, do they?  :-)

- - Carol