Subject: [Leica] James L. Lager: Leica An Illustrated History / Volume I - Cameras / Volume II -
From: LeicaPhoto <LeicaPhoto@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 14:04:48 EST

James L. (Jim) Lager is not only one of the world's experts on Leica (he used
to work at Leitz New York), but also one of the nicest people that we have
ever met. He is hard at work on the last volume of his trilogy (Volume III -
Accessories) and we thought that we should bring to the attention of the LUG
the availability of the first two volumes of his work. In our opinion, it is
the best work on Leica photographic equipment (cameras & lenses) for the Leica
collector or the serious browser. The two volumes are hardbound 9 1/2 x 11",
with the script Leica embossed in gold on the cover of each and beautifully
rendered color dustjackets. Volume I - Cameras is 318 pages, starting off with
the Ur-Leica and going through all the screw mount and M models  including the
M6. Also, all the reflex models from the Leicaflex through the R7.
Additionally, it covers military Leicas (WWII & post war); experimental and
atypical Leitz cameras, etc. The thousands of photographs of the cameras and
the lens series (black & white with a color center section) were virtually all
taken by Jim using Leica R equipment. To give you a scope of coverage, Jim has
23 photographs in his M6 section and 73 photographs in the M3 section!
Imagine, there is similar treatment thoughout the Leica camera line. He covers
virtually all varliations in a superbly illustrated text. Volume II - Lenses
is 319 pages and of the same calibre / quality as Volume I. The copyright is
1994 and it takes you through all screw mount, M mount, and R mount lenses and
includes Photokina 1994 information. Again, as in the Camera volume, the
photographic illustrations by Lager are unbelievable. As an example, there are
25 photographs of the 50mm 1:2 Summicron lens!
We have a limited number of signed copies of both volumes by Jim Lager. They
are very well priced at $110. for each volume and $200. for both volumes (Each
volume weighs almost 4 pounds). Shipping for LUG membersin the continental US
is $10. for either volume or for both volumes (shipping is never more than
$10. period) and as always we will include a copy of "Leica Magic Moments" at
no charge. VISA, MC, AMEX (number & expiration) with name, address &
telephone, etc. Our fax (24 hour) is 212-777-6960 and telephone is
212-777-3051. We are here Tues - Friday 11 to 6 & Saturday 12 to 6 EST. Best
regards, Rose & Jay Deutsch / Leica Gallery.