Subject: Re: [Leica] M series book
From: "usinet.srlond" <srlondon@ibm.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 1998 13:44:14 -0500

>What do the team recommend as a good reference book on *recent* M series
>Leicas and lenses? I have a number of questions about M winders, filter
>sizes and other mundane stuff, which I'd rather not waste everyone's time
>with here.

I like Brian Bower's "Leica M Photography".  It is relatively easy to
find here in the states.  I also found John Eastland's "Leica M
Compendium" helpful, but there is one inaccuracy which can be quite
misleading in regards to the metering system.  He states that you can, in
effect, take spot meter readings by using the frame selector lever to
bring up the frames for a smaller lens (i.e. 135 lines while using a 50mm
lens).  This is clearly false, because the viewing system has nothing to
do with the meter reading in the M6.  The size of the area of a scene
metered is exclusively dictated by which lens is mounted on the camera.