Subject: [Leica] Gun Sights & VF Sights / Brick/Moss/Clompus
From: Leikon35 <Leikon35@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 1998 00:21:24 EST

 From what Jim Brick just wrote  ----- there is a profound thought just
 lying there, only waiting to be expounded upon.
- ------------------------------

 When looking through a reflex camera, you are looking closely at a
 magnified ground glass image whereas  you are seeing an aerial image
 when looking through a "M".  If you are far-sighted, the aerial image will
 be sharp and the ground glass not --- and visa-versa through the "R".

 Added to this is the fact that most Japanese reflex cameras come with
 a built-in one minus (-1) correction that helps nearsighted users and this
 might account for some of the preferential bias's in regards to cameras.

 Maybe Dr. Clompus can help explain why the Japanese tend to design
 their system  biased for the near-sighted.  As our bodies get older, the
 eyeball loses some of its flexibility in rapidly focusing from near to far --
 & when you are looking down a gun barrel at the front sight, the eye has
 to quickly change focus back & forth between sights & object sighted.

 Marvin Moss
 Guns, Cameras & Sex Emeritus