Subject: Re: [Leica] Weddings/bracketing/35mmvs6X6
From: nfrnkish@dux4.tcd.ie (Neil Frankish)
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 01:57:49 +0100

25 years ago when I was only a callow youth, the instructer at the
photography evening classes I was attending took me aside and offered me
part time work with a wedding photographer of his aqaintance. Of course I
was flattered and jumped at the chance (being paid to indulge my new hobby?
!!!). Of course, my first time out (with the professional) I shot with my
Minolta SLR (50 1.4). The next week, we compared shots and I was shocked;
even at only 10 X 8 the difference in quality compared to his 6X6 was a
quantum leap. So I had to buy a 6X6 TLR and for the next two years, almost
every Sat, I would be given *3* rolls of 120 Vericolour II and if I hadn't
come back with 30+ sellable exposures every time, that would have been my
last wedding!

With only 36 exposures to work with, bracketing was only a theoretical
concept! Every shoot was done according to the same standard formula.
(although once, I inadvertently double exposed a bridesmade over the
portrait of the bride. When I saw it, I was mortified, but in fact the
costomer loved it, and we sold more reprints of that than any other!)

On the one hand, it taught me discipline early; to get the exposure and
focussing right, quickly, every time. On the other hand, in terms of film
use, I still, even now, tend to use my M6 in the same deliberate way, and I
lose spontaneity as a result. I sometimes think that being so constrained
in my photographically formative years has stifled my artistic development.
At least it's always a good excuse when you get a roll with no keepers on
it! :)

Neil Frankish