Subject: Re: [Leica] Weddings/bracketing/35mmvs6X6
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 00:16:24 -0500

Harrison McClary wrote:

<<<<<I guess what it boils down to for me is that every time I pick up my
camera I act as if  my reputation is on the line.>>>>>>>

Hi Harrison,

Same with me! And I'm sure many of the other pros on the LUG. We can't
afford to wrek our reputations due to saving a roll or two of film by
thinking one frame will get the best possible image.

We can't, particularly when shooting slide film, where bracketing can make
us look like wunderkin photgraphers simply because we under or over exposed
a shot.  Meters in or out of cameras are still a guide to the correct
exposure and it usually is. Certainly on an R8!

However no matter how perfect the meter read exposure maybe, another
exposure a half or one stop under can make it look like a brilliant
photographer made this picture! :)

Now wouldn't we all want to have the "brilliant photgrapher image" simply
by bracketing?

I know I'd rather have people finding a diamond image or two within the 10%
very best of any shoot, than having 100% (if it were possible) of properly
exposed frames. Nice, but OK!

But none to make the viewer suck air at the "jeeeeeeeesh man look at that
one!!"

And quite frankly that's what bracketing is all about! It has nothing to do
with wasting film and everything about making great images and keeping our
reputations intact.

ted