Subject: Re: [Leica] "Bedding in" of lenses
From: nfrnkish@dux4.tcd.ie (Neil Frankish)
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 21:49:24 +0100

I bought my M6/50 summicron new a little over a year ago. At that time, the
focussing movement was a little stiff and at near distances, there was a
rough spot (if you really felt for it). However, after a year of use it is
now so so silky, buttery smooth. Later I bought a 28/2.8 and a 90/2.8. The
latter is exceptionally stiff in comparison. Based on frequency of use, I
guess it will take 3 or 4 years to "bed in"! Is this a common experience? A
comparison of the focussing threads of the 50 & 90 show a major difference:
the thread of the 90 faces the inside of the barrel and is black (paint?)
and seems of a finer pitch, which might make it inherently stiffer.

Neil Frankish