Subject: [Leica] Susan Meiselas program in Hartford, Connecticut
From: "Roy Zartarian" <royzart@connix.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 21:16:47 +0000

An audience of about 100 including at least one representative of the
LUG attended photojournalist Susan Meiselas' program at Trinity
College this afternoon. With a well-paced sequence of slides,
Meiselas described major documentary events in her career, from
"Carnival Strippers" in the early 70's through Nicaragua in the late
70's to, most recently, Kurdistan. Her involvement with the Kurds
inspired the creation of the book "Kurdistan in the shadow of
history" which through old photographs and textual treatments
describes the history and culture of that people.

At the reception afterwards (which included a rather nice Merlot but,
alas, no products of Islay), I did have the opportunity to chat with
her about matters photographic, Kurdish, and Armenian after she
signed "Kurdistan" for me. I did get her attention by opening up my
copy of "75 Years of Leica Photography" to the page containing her
work which she autographed as well.

And she continues to use a Leica, commenting "I'll never give up my
M6."
   Roy C. Zartarian
   http://www.connix.com/~royzart
   "A prophet is not without honor except in his
    own land and among his own people"

Written with the assistance of a labrador retriever whose chin is on the key board. All typos are his fault.