Subject: Re: [Leica] Fwd: EMAIL VIRUS
From: George Berger <gberger@his.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 15:14:05 -0500

>Attention LUGgers...The following message was just forwarded to our staff by
>Dan Rose, the Financial Officer of the school district in which I teach.  BTW,
>Dan is not a prankster, this is genuine concern.  I realize it's a bit off
>topic,  but it occurred to me that it might throw a helluva wrench in the LUG
>if our members (or their tools) were to become infected.
>Norman Milks...over 'n out. [:-)
>
>VIRUS WARNING=21=21=21=21=21=21
>
>	If you receive an email titled =22JOIN THE CREW=22 DO NOT open it.
>It will
>erase everything on your hard drive.  Forward this letter out to as many
>people as you can.  This is a new, very malicious virus and not many peole
>know about it.  This information was announced yesterday morning from IBM;
>please share it with everyone that might access the internet.  Once again,
>pass this along to EVERYONE in your address book so that this may be stopped.
>Also, do not open or even look at any mail that says=22RETURNED OR UNABLE TO
>DELIVER+22 This virus will attach itself to your computer components and
>render them useless.  Immediately delete any mail items that say this.  AOL
>has said that this is a very dangerous virus and that there is NO remedy for
>it at this time.  Please practice cautionary measures and forward this to all
>your online friends asap.

Hi, LUGgers  -

I just checked with CIAC  - -  the government's computer incident folk. The
"JOIN THE CREW " is a hoax. Go to URL
http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/CIACHoaxes.html to verify. CIAC is run by the
Department of Energy's Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.   The CIAC
squib is as follows:
____________

Circulating the Internet is an email message entitled "Join the Crew". For
a virus to spread, it must be executed. Reading a mail message does not
execute the
mail message. Trojans and viruses have been found as executable attachments
to mail messages, but they must be extracted and executed to do any harm.
CIAC
still affirms that reading E-mail, using typical mail agents, can not
activate malicious code delivered in or with the message.

         IMPORTANT - VIRUS Alert!!!

         Take note !

         Someone got an email, titled as JOIN THE CREW.
         It has erased his hard drive.
         Do not open up any mail that has this title.
         It will erase your whole hard drive.
         This is a new email virus and not a lot of people know about it,
         just let everyone  know, so they won't be a victim.

         Please e-mail this to everyone you know!!!
         Remember the title :    JOIN THE CREW

Variants of this email message are circulating the Internet. If you receive
an email message entitled "Join the Crew" and it has an attachment, CIAC
recommends
that you delete the message and the attachment. If you receive just the
message, delete the message. Please DO NOT circulate unvalidated virus
alerts.

Cheers,  George

>         Sent via ExpressNet/SMTP(tm), Internet Gateway of the Gods!
>               ExpressNet/SMTP (c)1994-95 Delphic Software, Inc.

George Berger
gberger@his.com