Subject: Re: [Leica] Summicron v. Nikkor; SLR v. RF (longish)
From: George Berger <gberger@his.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 00:08:55 -0500

>          On SLR v. RF - I believe that one "sees" differently through a RF
>          as opposed to a ground glass.  Because there are large portions
>          of the GG that are out-of-focus, one becomes more aware of
>          "masses". This is abetted because of the experience in viewing
>          the field as a bright area surrounded by blackness.  In the RF,
>          one becomes more focused on "lines" and being able to view what's
>          going on outside the frame can be an asset (although there's not
>          much room outside the 50mm frame on an M3!).

That's exactly what I learned, through many (50+) years of experience.

With an SLR, with most everything out of focus - - except the prime target,
you have a very strong tendency to compose via "mass."

With a rangefinder, *everything* you see through the viewfinder seems to be
in focus, and you instinctively compose using "lines," viz., the 1/3 - 2/3
rule, the "S" curve, etc.

The two are really different worlds - - and, after the film is developed,
you can see the difference.

Just my two cents

George Berger
gberger@his.com