Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Flare with 28mm f2.8 PC SA lens
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 08:53:32 -0800

As I've preached a thousand times before, UV filters are useless. What
happened to you is, even though the sun was outside the frame, it still hit
the surface of the filter. When direct sun hits a filter (any filter), you
will get flare. What you did was simply render the exquisite front coating
of your 28PC useless. Front lens surfaces are meticulously prepared to kill
flare. Filter surfaces are not. I have a 28PC and the huge round sunshade
does not cut-off the sun which is just out of the frame, as does the square
shade for the 21, 24, & 28 lenses.

Jim