Subject: Re[2]: [Leica] deception -- None
From: Peterson_Art@hq.navsea.navy.mil
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 10:53:54 -0500

     Bob,

     We often find this kind of talk among LUG members, but although I own
     and use both a manual Nikon SLR and a Leica rangefinder camera, I yet
     fail to understand some of the distinctions you make.  The differences
     to me are that the Leica, because smaller, is less conspicuous, more
     convenient (i.e., pocketable), and lighter in weight, and it's also
     quieter.  But how with an M camera "you are directly confronting your
     subject" any more than with a Nikon, or "are part of the camera" any
     more than with a manual SLR, or why you have "DOF...calculated in your
     head...[and]...have prefocussed for all intents and purposes" any more
     than with a non-autofocus SLR, and so why you should be "ahead of the
     shot" any more than with a Nikon, all of these supposed distinctions of
     "technique" (and/or "style") elude my understanding entirely.

     Art Peterson