Subject: Re[4]: [Leica] deception -- None
From: Peterson_Art@hq.navsea.navy.mil
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 15:34:39 -0500

     Bob,

     You mention that an SLR "goes thru a complex series of time-consuming
     coordinated mechanical functions before the shutter fires," but surely
     that difference from an M camera is merely a matter of milliseconds;
     otherwise Nikon photographers would have a reputation for missing the
     precise moment of action (which, as far as I know, they do not).

     You also state that a "reflex viewfinder is always focused at the
     largest aperture...so other elements...are out of focus...[and]...You
     must either use the stop down button or imagine what the elements in
     focus will be...[and so]...usually prefer to focus rather than preset
     focus because the viewfinder image is rather uncertain...[whereas
     there are]...No such second thoughts with an M."  But a rangefinder
     camera's viewfinder is equally not indicative of what is in focus, but
     in the opposite way (i.e., EVERYTHING is in focus).  And in any case,
     there is no reason why an SLR user should not preset focus---as, in
     fact, I often do myself with my Nikon.

     But more importantly, your response says nothing about the main points
     of your original message that I questioned: that is, how, with a Leica
     M camera, you are "directly confronting your subject" or are "part of
     the camera" or have "DOF...calculated in your head" or are "ahead of
     the shot"---any more than would be the case with a Nikon SLR.  I know
     the ways in which SLRs differ from Leica rangefinder cameras, since I
     use both myself (and you and I have enumerated many of those ways in
     our respective messages); I simply fail to understand the additional
     distinctions you made, as re-quoted in this paragraph.

     Art