Subject: Re: Re[2]: [Leica] deception -- None
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 12:43:08 -0500 (EST)

     The differences
     to me are that the Leica, because smaller, is less conspicuous, more
     convenient (i.e., pocketable), and lighter in weight, and it's also
     quieter.  But how with an M camera "you are directly confronting your
     subject" any more than with a Nikon, or "are part of the camera" any
     more than with a manual SLR, or why you have "DOF...calculated in your
     head...[and]...have prefocussed for all intents and purposes" any more
     than with a non-autofocus SLR, and so why you should be "ahead of the
     shot" any more than with a Nikon, all of these supposed distinctions of
     "technique" (and/or "style") elude my understanding entirely. --Art
Peterson
Art,

My Nikon FM reflex is lighter than my M3. A reflex goes thru a complex series
of time-consuming coordinated mechanical functions before the shutter fires.
The reflex viewfinder is always focused at the largest aperture of the lens
used, so other elements in the composition are out of focus. You must either
use the stop down button or imagine what the elements in focus will be. With
a reflex we usually prefer to focus rather than preset focus because the
viewfinder image is rather uncertain otherwise. No such second thoughts with
an M.

Bob R