Subject: Re: [Leica] Best Used M
From: CapsTeeth <CapsTeeth@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 12:49:48 EST

> Perhaps you could suggest which M cameras are the best bang for the buck in
>  the used side of the market.. via the fact that I like them for their
weight
>  (I backpack into the Sierra alot)
>  Which is the thing I like most about the IIIf-its compactness..
>  The thing I dont like about my IIIf is that its such a buggar to load..
>  especially if you are in a hurry or have cold hands..and also- speaking of
>  cold is there a best way to protect a camera from coldness poblems(fogging-
>  condensation) when in the wilderness?
                 Look around for a user (i.e. black finish worn down to
underlying metal in places but no real deep dents which would indicate a fall)
M4-2 or M4-P...can be found in the $700 range.  They are shunned by the
collectors because they were made in Canada and reputedly aren't as high-
quality as the others...perhaps the service techs can tell the difference but
in my practical experience I've had no problems.  They have most or all the
frame-lines like the M6 and also the quick-loading mechanism, and they'll take
autowinders if you desire.

Doc