Subject: Re: [Leica] 50 Summicron questions
From: CapsTeeth <CapsTeeth@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 1997 16:23:48 EST

> > Greetings, LUGers, I am new. I have another question about the f2 50 mm
>  > Summicron. How does it stack up against older 50 mm lenses, especially
the
> 5cm
>  > summarit f 1.5. I have the Summarit and use it, but often wonder if I
> would
>  > see a difference with the modern f2 lens. I would like the idea of a
> lighter
>  > lens. The Summarit weighs a ton. Joe Stephenson.
>  >
                    From my experience I found very, very little difference
between the current Summicron and the one previous to it...the newer version
being just a smidgen better in the corners at the 2 widest stops.  The first
generation Summicron is a sharp lens also but differs in that it gives a
somewhat lower contrast rendition.  I've only shot, but not owned, a thread-
mount Summarit and I happen to prefer the performance of the Elmar to any of
the faster thread-mount 50's.  Sadly, Leica lenses from the 50's and earlier
seem to not age well at all...that "gunk" you describe is a commonality.
Sometimes it can be cleaned off, sometimes not...and it's always expensive.

Doc