Subject: Re: [Leica] Best Used M
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 12:47:41 -0500

For the M cameras, the best buys right now are the M4-P, M4-2, and M3.  The
M2 and M4 bodies escalated in price several years back and haven't gone
down any that I've noticed.  The M5's are, at long last, becoming
collectibles, so their prices are beginning to edge up.  Finally, M6's are
the most expensive, in general, of the M's though the current low price for
a new one caps the price creep.

Some folks prefer the M2 to the M3 due to its smaller VF.  I do not, but,
then, I rarely shoot wider than a 50mm and, generally, 90mm.

A good user M3 double-stroke (DS) body can be had for $600.  I recently
sold one with missing vulcanite for $450, as I had bought a nice, clean M3
DS with PV and DOF cut-outs for $750.  That's probably a fair price spread.

Cold weather with mechanical cameras can be a problem.  (Well, it's
actually worse with electrical cameras, as the batteries die and the camera
is thus spurlos versunkt.)  Cool the camera beforehand -- I keep mine in
the car if I'm planning on having it out-and-about.  And warm it up
gradually afterwards -- I leave my camera gear on a quasi-heated back porch.

Best,

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!