Subject: Re: [Leica] Coming In From the Cold
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 15:19:38 -0500

At 03:39 PM 12/24/97 -0500, Bill Caldwell wrote:
>>From Minnesota winter experiences, I have used both a M3 and a CL
>outdoors to -30 F.  I have not had an internal lubrication sticking
>problem in either camera.  However, if the camera body and lens were to
>be used outside for significant periods, it is generally suggested that
>they both be winterized.

I'm having a lonely Christmas eve, so I DO appreciate the opportunity to
pontificate a bit on matters historical.  (Or, if you will, matters
hysterical!)

When the Germans occupied Norway in the first winter of the Second War,
they found that their Leicas were freezing up.  (I understand that the
Rolleis and Zeiss Ikon cameras MF were not so afflicted, though I believe
the Contax RF's had woes similar to the Leicas.)  The Gnomes of Wetzlar
pondered this a while and changed the bearing on which the shutter curtains
ran from a friction bearing -- that is, a bear-metal hole with a bare-metal
spindle sticking through it -- to roller bearings, yclept 'kugellager' aug
Deutsch, and this cured the problem.  (Zeiss Ikon modified Contax RF's by
relubing them with a lighter-weight grease, but this meant treated cameras
were not as durable when exposed to warmer temperatures, so the Leitz
solution, for once, was preferable.)

By the end of the War, and some extensive cold-weather service in the
Arctic, Norway, and Soviet Union, Leicas were found to function without a
qualm with only one roller-bearing, and so the Postwar IIIc's, and all
cameras hence, have been so constructed.

The point?  You don't really need to 'winterize' a Leica:  the design was
made to accomodate the worst that a Russian winter could toss at it, and,
pace Garrison Keilor, even Minnesota looks mild by comparison.

I DO have it on good authority that Robert Byrd, Amundsen, Admiral Byrd,
and Santa Claus never 'winterized' THEIR Leicas, so why should you?

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!