Subject: Re: Throw away the Leica - Keep the Case
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 10:01:38 -0500

At 02:33 AM 11/29/97 -0500, Ol' Two-Shoes wrote:
>  I  just acquired an almost new 47 year old Leica  lc.
>  It has no built in range-finder nor view - finder but has
>  2 accessory shoes for auxillaries.  The leather case
>  is rarer than the camera & is much taller than normal
>  to make room for the BL finder & slip-on RF.
>  I can't imagine why anyone would want something like
>  this, 47 years ago.  Ic's were used with microscopes &
>  other instruments but why a field package like this?

The original Leica was precisely the same -- that is, no VF, no RF.  So
many folks had gotten used to using auxiliary units in the two accessory
shoes.  I agree that most of the Ic and later 'stripper' Leicas were sold
for industrial, scientific, or technical uses, but there must have been
some old-timers about who wanted them for field use, as they were akin to
their original Leica of, say, 1925 or 1930.

Leica didn't add the inbuilt RF/VF until Zeiss Ikon brought out the Contax
I with these features.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!