Subject: Re: 21mm
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 10:07:56 -0500

At 06:30 AM 11/29/97 -0500, Michael Hintlian wrote:

>So, to the original question, I find it hard to understand just what is
>meant when you say the Elmarit was not a happy lens for Leica.  Could I
>trouble you to be specific?
>
>The very earliest 21 Elmarits were different than the current...is that the
>reformulation "twiddle" you speak of?

Michael

I am not "bored" per se, it's just that I don't particularly like
super-wide-angle lenses.  When I need one, I use either a 5.6/20 Russar or
shoot it with my Contarex and a 4.5/21 Biogon.  But I may shoot five frames
a year, at most, wider than 35mm.

I am in the middle of being separated from my wife, and a lot of my
references are, of course, at my estranged spouse's residence, so this is
from memory.  Leica has never been happy with any of their 21mm formulae
and have been considering for some years replacing the current lens.
However, this is not a particularly high-demand lens, so the redesign of
the 90mm Elmarit and the 35mm lenses took priority.

In the past two years, you are the first fervent advocate of the 2.8/21 to
have posted such on the LUG.  The general consensus in the past is that the
Super-Angulon is a more satisfactory lens, although it has the drawback
that it will not meter with the M6.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!