Subject: Loading M3
From: Howard Sanner <70357.3471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 22:34:07 -0400

   Well, I've owned an M3 for about two weeks now, and as of today loaded the
fourth or fifth roll of film. I find it at least as easy to load as my Nikon
F. Here's how I do it.

   First, you don't have to cut the film special for the M3; it handles the
modern "tongue" on 35mm film just fine.

   Remove the bottom & stash it somewhere. Remove the takeup spool. Take the
film out of its cannister. Hold the takeup spool in your left hand with the
arrow (on the clip that holds the film) at the bottom and the film in your
right with the emulsion side facing you. Feed film into the clip on the
takeup spool, straight edge (i.e., the one closest to the sprocket holes)
next to the flange. Keep working it into the clip until you can see emulsion
through all the holes that comprise the arrow. Hold the takeup spool over its
hole in the camera body. Pull on the film cassette until it is over its hole.
Drop the cassette and spool into the body. A little wiggling will get the
film in place. Open the camera back & ensure that the sprocket holes have
engaged the sprockets. Close the back, put the bottom back on, and start
taking pictures.

   Avoid putting any pressure on the film through the door in the back of the
camera. This area is right over the shutter curtains, which deserve gentle
treatment.

   Good luck.

                                       Howard Sanner
                                       70537.3471@compuserve.com